We love our Ninja Foodi XL 14-in-1 8-quart Smart Pressure Cooker/Steam Fryer! It does almost every type of cooking you can imagine. Pressure cooking? Of course. Air frying? Check. Slow cooking, Yep. Sous Vide? It does that too, and a lot more.
Today we're making a steam-crisped whole chicken. Other than putting a chicken into a Traeger grill and closing the lid, this is the easiest chicken we've ever made! We served it with Custard Filled Cornbread and a salad.
Do You Need This Fantastic Appliance?
If you can afford this appliance and have the room for it, we think it's well worth the investment. So far we've found that it's the best slow cooker we've ever had; it's a great rice cooker; and an excellent pressure cooker, of course. Our next adventures will be making bread and yogurt.
Ingredients You'll Need
- a chicken
- a lemon and an onion (these go inside the chicken to give it more flavor)
- oilve oil
- kosher salt
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
Equipment You'll Need
This recipe is all about the cooking technology, and it won't work unless you have the Ninja Foodi XL 14-in-1 8-quart Smart Pressure Cooker/Steam Fryer. If you have a different kind of multi-pot, like an Instant Pot, you'll have to do a lot of manual settings that the Foodi does automatically.
Make It Your Own!
You can use any marinade or rub you like, the cooking method will be the same.
Make Crispy Chicken in the Foodi Multi-pot
Make the Marinade
Mix all the marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor. You don't even need a picture of that, do you?
Prepare the chicken
Rub the marinade all over the chicken, including under the skin and the inside. This is messy, so bring out your inner kid and have some fun! Now, go wash your hands! Put the chicken into the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours. Overnight is even better. Plan ahead!
If your chicken will fit in a gallon zip lock bag, it will help the marinade penetrate more. We used a gallon vacuum sealer bag, we think vacuum sealing is the best way to marinate meat.
Here's the chicken after sitting overnight, ready to be stuffed with the onion and lemon.
Cook the Chicken
Slice the lemon and the onion in half and put them inside the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Insert the Foodie Smart Thermometer into the center of the thickest part of the of the breast. Here it is, all trussed up and ready to go!
Pour the water into the Foodie. Put the chicken into the Cook & Crisp basket, put the basket into the Foodie, and plug the thermometer into the lid. Close the lid and move the slider to STEAMCRISP. This is a big chicken, it barely fit in the basket!
Turn the Foodi on. Use the arrows to set the temperature to 365.
Touch PRESET on the right side of the display and use the arrows to select CHICKEN. Press START/STOP and the Foodie will start to preheat. This will take about 15 minutes. The cook time will be about 55 minutes. Plenty of time to make a side dish while it's cooking!
When the cooking is complete, remove the basket from the Foodi, remove the chicken from the basket, and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Look at that crispy skin! The meat is juicy and cooked perfectly. Carve and serve.
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Ninja Foodie Multi-Pot Steam-Crisped Chicken
Special Equipment Needed
- 1 Ninja Foodi Smart Pressure Cooker Steam Fryer This recipe really can't be made without this amazing appliance!
- 6-7 pound whole chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Blend the marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside.3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 6 cloves garlic, ½ tablespoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Wash and dry the chicken. Rub marinade all over the chicken, including under the skin and on the inside. Allow the chicken to marinate for 6-24 hours, the longer the better.6-7 pound whole chicken
- Cut the lemon and the onion in half and put inside the chicken. Tie the legs together tightly with kitchen twine. Insert the Foodie Smart Thermometer into the center of the thickest part of the of the breast.1 lemon, 1 small onion
- Pour the water into the Foodie. Put the chicken into the Cook & Crisp basket and put the basket into the Foodi. and plug the Foodie Smart Thermometer into the lid. Close the lid and move the slider to STEAMCRISP.½ cup water
- Turn the Foodie on and use the arrows to set the temperature to 365.
- On the right side of the display, touch PRESET and use the arrows to select CHICKEN.
- Press START/STOP. The Foodie will preheat for about 15 minutes, and then begin cooking. Cook time will be about 55 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, remove the basket from the Foodi and allow the chicken to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving and serving.
- If you like this recipe, please come back and review it and share it on your social media!
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com