I've seen this recipe on a lot of food blogs, and I've wanted to make it for a long time. Tonight was the night! We served it with Ninja Foodie Multi-Pot Steam-Crisped Chicken and a salad.[feast_advanced_jump_to]
A Different Take on Cornbread
The addition of a heavy cream custard really elevates humble cornbread. It makes an excellent side dish, and it also makes a great desert, reheated and drizzled with maple syrup. Or even with whipped cream, because why not?
Ingredients You'll Need
Most of these will already be in your pantry or refrigerator!
- baking powder
- baking soda
- corn (frozen, canned, or fresh)
- heavy cream
Equipment You'll Need
- 8-inch square baking dish
It's Easy to Make Custard Cornbread!
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish and put it in the oven while you prepare the batter. If you don't have an 8-inch pan, you can use a 10-inch cast-iron or similar pan.
Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and melted butter until combined.
Before the cream sits out too long you must whip it!
Add the milk, vinegar, salt, and sugar and beat well.
Pour the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
Whip it again to make a smooth batter., then add the corn and mix well.
Take the pan out of the oven and pour the batter into it.
Pour the cream into the center of the batter. You're automatically going to want to stir it. Don't do it! Remember how James Bond likes his cornbread custard: Poured, not stirred!
Put the pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. The top of the cornbread should be brown, and it shouldn't jiggle if you shake the pan. If it's not quite done, put it back in the oven for 5 or 10 minutes.
Here it is, right out of the oven. slice and serve!
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Custard Filled Cornbread
Special Equipment Needed
- 1 8-inch square baking dish
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish and put it in the oven while you prepare the batter.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl; set aside.1 cup flour, ¾ cup cornmeal, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda
- In large bowl, beat the eggs and melted butter until well-blended.2 eggs, 3 tablespoons butter
- Add the sugar, salt, milk and vinegar and beat well.2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 cups milk, 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Pour dry ingredients into the bowl and whisk until combined. Mix in the corn.1 cup corn
- Pour the batter into the hot pan. Pour the cream into the center of the batter. Do not stir the batter!1 cup heavy cream
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The cornbread is done when it's brown on top, and batter doesn't move much when you shake the baking dish.
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com