This soup has an unusual flavor profile: tart turnips, sweet apples, and sweet and hot spices. The first spoonful might confuse your tongue, but then the delicious sets in![feast_advanced_jump_to]
This is a Flavor Mash-Up!
Turnips and apples... who would have thought they would work together? Obviously someone did, because there are a lot of variations of this recipe! When I took my first taste of this soup my reaction was, "I don't know what I'm tasting here!" But as I ate more my brain figured out the flavor balance and I couldn't stop until the bowl was empty.
Debbie's reaction was a bit different: "That's... interesting." But she mixed some Greek yogurt into the soup and then she said it was pretty good. If the spices are too intense for you, add some more cream, yogurt, or sour cream to smooth it out.
Ingredients You'll Need
- olive oil
- Granny Smith apples
- dark brown sugar
- kosher salt
- white pepper
- cayenne pepper
- chicken stock
- heavy cream
How to Make Apple and Turnip Soup
Here are the ingredients: turnips and apples; garlic and onions; heavy cream; olive oil; and spices: brown sugar, salt, white pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, and cayenne.
Set some of the chopped apple aside to garnish the soup!
Heat the oil in a large stock pot and sauté the onions until they turn translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Add all the rest of the ingredients except the cream, and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring well to coat the turnip and apple with the spices.
Pour in the stock and bring the pot to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, partially cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Take the pot off the heat. Pour the soup into a blender in two or more batches and puree until it's smooth. I poured the soup from the blender into a tureen for serving. You can also puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender.
Stir the heavy cream into the soup.
Serve garnished with olive oil, more cream, cinnamon, and chopped apple. This is as close to food styling as I ever get, folks, so take a good look!
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Spiced Turnip and Apple Soup
Special Equipment Needed
- 1 Large stock pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 ½ pounds turnips peeled and diced
- 3 Granny Smith apples peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until it's translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 medium onion
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.2 cloves garlic
- Add the turnips, apples, brown sugar, salt, white pepper, cinnamon, cardamon, allspice, and cayenne and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.1 ½ pounds turnips, 3 Granny Smith apples, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, ¾ teaspoon white pepper, ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground cardamom, ¼ teaspoon ground allspice, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes to soften the turnips and apple.4 cups chicken stock
- Remove the pot from the heat. Pour the soup into a blender (in batches if necessary) and puree until smooth.
- Stir in the cream. Serve garnished with a drizzle of olive oil and cream, some chopped apples, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.4 tablespoons heavy cream
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com