This spicy beef and cabbage stew is flavored with spices commonly used in Türkiye (formerly "Turkey", and pronounced "tur-key-YAY"): paprika, and Aleppo peppers. We've made it on the stovetop in the past, but today I made it in our Ninja Foodie multi-pot!
Hot Enough For You?
This recipe uses a lot of spice... a tablespoon each of red pepper flakes and paprika. That really brings the heat level up, especially when you use hot paprika, like I do! Feel free to adjust the amount of these spices to your taste and tolerance. Also, be generous with the sour cream when serving, that will turn the heat level down.
Ingredients You'll Need
- lean beef
- diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- Aleppo pepper flakes (or other red pepper flakes)
- sweet paprika (or hot paprika if you want more heat)
- salt and white pepper
How to Make This Beef and Cabbage Stew
Here are the ingredients: cabbage, beef, diced tomatoes, spices (sugar, salt, cinnamon, and white pepper), butter, more spices (pepper flakes and paprika), tomato paste, and onions.
Set the pressure cooker to Sauté and add the butter. When the butter has melted add the onions and cook until they're soft and translucent, about five minutes.
Add the beef to the pot and cook until it's browned on all sides.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper flakes, paprika, sugar, salt, white pepper, and water. Stir to mix everything together.
Add the cabbage and mix well. This is where it helps to have a large pressure cooker! The cabbage will cook down, but it's nice to have enough room to mix it with the meat sauce.
Set the the pot to pressure cook for 20 minutes. When the time is up do a Quick Release. One of the things we like about this Ninja Foodie pressure cooker is that you can set the release method—natural, quick, or time delay—and it will do the release automatically.
Serve with sour cream, and a side salad would go well with it.
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Turkish Beef and Cabbage (Kapuska)
Special Equipment Needed
- 1 Pressure cooker Ninja Foodie, Instant Pot, etc.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 ½ pounds lean beef cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium head cabbage roughly chopped
- Sour cream for serving
- Set the pressure cooker to Sauté and add the butter. When the butter has melted add the onions and cook until soft, about five minutes.4 tablespoons butter, 1 large onion
- Add the beef to the pot and cook until browned.1 ½ pounds lean beef
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper flakes, paprika, sugar, salt, white pepper, and water.1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, Salt and white pepper, 1 cup water
- Add the cabbage and mix well.1 medium head cabbage
- Set the the pot to pressure cook for 20 minutes. When the time is up do a Quick Release.
- Serve with sour cream.Sour cream
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com