It's summer, so it's time for picnics, cookouts, and cool dishes for dinner! The pea salad with bacon is a classic recipe. But I've added a couple of twists that I think make it even better!
Even the Best Can Be Made Better!
This is the first salad I learned to make, so it has a special place in my memories. It's absolutely comfort food for me! But over the years I've learned that even the classics can be improved. I've added a couple of things to this recipe that really brighten it up. Read on, and look for the "Elevate the Dish" notes!
Ingredients You'll Need
- frozen peas
- sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- creamy salad dressing (ranch, creamy Caesar, etc)
- red onion
- bacon strips
- And those special twists!
Make the Recipe
Here are the basic ingredients: peas, shredded cheese, salad dressing, salt and pepper, and bacon.
Put everything except the bacon in a bowl, mix it up, and put it in the fridge for at least half an hour. Don't you just love recipes like this?
Elevate the Dish! To add some zing to the dish, add a tablespoon of an acid like lemon juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or white wine vinegar!
Add the bacon to the salad and serve. Here is plated with pan-fried pork chops.
Elevate the Dish! Chop some fresh herbs and sprinkle them over the salad! Dill, mint, basil, parsley and cilantro would all work well with this salad!
We picked up some arugula at the farmers market. It added a huge burst of peppery freshness to the salad!
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Pea Salad with Bacon
- 16 ounces frozen peas thawed
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup salad dressing ranch or another creamy dressing
- ⅓ cup red onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or other acid ingredient (see notes)
- 4 strips bacon cooked until crispy and chopped
- Fresh herbs optional
- Combine the peas, cheese, salad dressing, red onion, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well.16 ounces frozen peas, ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, ½ cup salad dressing, ⅓ cup red onion, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Put in the refrigerator to chill for at least half an hour.
- Top with the bacon and serve.4 strips bacon
- If you like, chop some fresh herbs (mint, basil, parsley, cilantro, etc) and sprinkle over the salad.Fresh herbs
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know what you think!