This filling and satisfying dish is perfect for breakfast or brunch, or even for dinner! The flavor of the potatoes has been enhanced with some savory spices. It's quick and easy to make, so try it soon!
Is 5 Ingredients Enough?
Do a search for "5 ingredients recipes" and you'll find dozens of pages. I often wonder who decided that 5 ingredients is the ideal number for a recipe! I know that there are people who won't make any recipe that call for more than 5 ingredients. Granted, that can make meal preparation really quick and easy. And not everyone wants to take the time to make Middle Eastern and Indian recipes with a long list of ingredients, even if most of them are spices.
(And for that matter, most people probably don't have room for a spice collection as extensive as mine! I'll have to give you a tour someday.)
But I think it really limits the possibilities when you can enhance the flavor of a dish a lot just by adding two or three more flavors. For example, the recipe that I adapted this dish from has the classic 5 ingredients: potatoes, parsley, garlic, eggs, and cheese. (It also uses salt and pepper, but those are so standard that I don't count them.)
I replaced the chopped garlic with garlic powder, and added onion powder and hot paprika. That saved the time it would take to chop the garlic, and the additional spices brought the flavor up to a new level. Sometimes I add a splash of apple cider vinegar to add some depth to the dish. You might be surprised at how much better a recipe can be if you step outside the "5 Ingredients Box"!
Ingredients You'll Need
- red potatoes
- fresh parsley
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- hot paprika
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- sharp Cheddar cheese
How to Make Pan Fried Potatoes and Eggs
Here are your ingredients: potatoes, eggs, cheese, parsley, spices (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper), and butter.
Fry the potatoes until they start to soften and brown. They don't have to be cooked all the way through, but you should be able to pierce them with a fork easily.
Mix in the parsley and spices. This is where the magic happens!
Use back of a spoon to make four wells in the potatoes, and crack two eggs into each well.
Put the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes. You want the whites to be almost completely set, and the yolks about medium, still a bit runny. That can be tricky to accomplish, and it depends a lot on your oven so I can't give you any exact timings!
Take the skillet out of the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the eggs.
This is a delicious and filling dish. We're solidly in the "Breakfast for Dinner" camp, and this is one of our favorite quick evening meals!
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Pan Fried Potatoes and Eggs
Special Equipment Needed
- 1 12 inch cast iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds red potatoes chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the butter in a 12 inch cast iron or other oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and stir until they start to soften and brown.3 tablespoons butter, 2 pounds red potatoes
- Stir in the parsley, garlic salt, onion salt, paprika, salt, and pepper.¼ cup fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon hot paprika, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ⅓ teaspoon black pepper
- Make four wells in the potato mixture with the back of a spoon and break two eggs into each well.8 large eggs
- Put the skillet in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. The whites of the eggs should be completely set, and the yolks should be cooked to medium.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and eggs and bake for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.½ cup sharp Cheddar cheese
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know what you think!