This is an easy way to make a delicious desert! You just need to make the batter, pour it over some fruit, and bake![feast_advanced_jump_to]
What is a Clafoutis?
A Clafoutis is a custard pancake with fruit. Instead of putting the fruit on top of a cooked pancake, the batter is poured over the fruit and baked in the oven.
Clafoutis originated in France around the 19th century as fruit—traditionally black cherries—arranged in a buttered dish, covered with a batter, and baked. When other kinds of fruit are used, the dish should be called a flaugnarde (flew-nyard-e). Why would the French have one word for a dish made with cherries and another word for the same dish made with anything else? No one seems to know, not even Wikipedia.
How Do You Pronounce Clafoutis?
That depends on whether you're American or not! Americans tend to pronounce foreign words phonetically, which isn't always correct. So you might hear people saying "kluh·fau·tuhs" or "kluh·foo·tis". But the French pronunciation is "kla·fou·tee". This concludes today's lesson in French.
Ingredients You'll Need
- vanilla extract
You can use different kinds of fruit in your Clafoutis (or Flaugnarde), such as blackberries, cherries (of course), peaches, apples, or pears.
You can also mix up the spices, but staying with "autumn spices" is probably best... allspice, cardamon, and cloves should work well.
How to Make Blueberry Clafoutis/Flaugnarde
Here all the ingredients: blueberries, milk, flour, spices (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg), eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and butter.
Prepare the Blueberries
Pre-heat the oven to 400° F. Put the butter in an oven-proof, 12-inch pan. I'm using my cast-ion pan. Put the pan in the oven for about 2 minutes, until the butter is melted.
Use a pastry brush to spread the butter over the bottom and sides of the pan.
Pour the blueberries into the hot pan.
Make the Batter
Whisk the eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a large bowl until well-combined.
Bake the Clafoutis
Pour the batter over the blueberries.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until the center is puffed up and the edges are browned. The edges will rise a lot, possibly above the edge of the pan. Don't worry, they'll deflate quickly when you take it out of the oven.
Let the clafoutis rest for at least 15 minutes before you serve it. I cut this slice right at the 15 minute mark because I don't have much patience when it comes to pastry, and it was still pretty juicy. Letting it rest longer will firm it up more. If you have any leftovers, store them in the refrigerator. It's great served cold with coffee or tea!
The custard-y pancake has a great mouthfeel, and the spices compliment the flavor of the berries. Delicious!
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 16 ounces blueberries fresh or frozen
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Put the butter in a 12-inch cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet. Put the skillet in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, until the butter is melted.2 teaspoons butter
- Spread the butter over the bottom and side of the pan with a pastry brush. Spread the blueberries in the bottom of the pan.16 ounces blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Pour the egg mixture over the blueberries.3 large eggs, ¾ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ cup whole milk, ⅓ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Bake until the center is puffed up and the edges are browned, about 30 minutes.
- Let the clafoutis stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com