This is a silky smooth, filling soup that's perfect for a hot summer night. The Spanish seasonings—cumin, hot paprika, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice—complement the mild flavor of the avocado, and elevate it to an amazing level. A salad on the side makes this a complete meal!
Summer Is Coming!
And that means it's time for chilled soup! This is a great way to make a refreshing meal, with no cooking, for a summer night. Chilled soups can be sweet, made with fruits like peaches or cherries; or they can be savory, like this Avocado soup.
Generally, all you need to make soups like this is a knife to chop the ingredients, and a blender or food processor. Puree everything, pour it into a bowl, and let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two. (Yes, you need to plan ahead!)
Ingredients You'll Need
- green onions
- lemon juice
- hot paprika
- cayenne pepper
- sour cream
- chicken stock
- cold water
- salt and black pepper
It's Quick and Easy to Make This Chilled Soup
The first thing you'll need to do is scoop the flesh out of the avocados. I'm not going to do yet another how-to on how to do that, there are plenty of them out there already. So do a search for "how to peel an avocado", and then come back here.
[Watching cat videos while you learn how to peel an avocado]
You're back! Thanks for not following random links and ending up in some weird corner of the Internet. Here's are my avocados. They don't look very pretty, but they're going into the blender so it doesn't matter.
I've given them a rough chop so the blender doesn't have to work so hard.
Drop them in the blender and crank up the speed. Avocados have a thick consistency, so you're probably going to have to stop a few times to push the chunks down to the blades. Yes, even with a Vitamix!
Here are the rest of the ingredients: green onions, sour cream, chicken stock, spices (cumin, paprika, and cayenne), garlic, and lemon juice.
Drop everything into the blender and do that purée thing again.
Pour the soup into a metal bowl and mix in a cup of ice-cold water. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and put the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
Serve the soup and add any garnishes you like. Here are some things that would work well.
- chopped cooked shrimp
- chopped parsley, mint, or cilantro
- Slice the green parts of the onions thinly
- Reserve some of the avocado and chop it into small cubes
Make Ahead... But Carefully!
Here's something to know about chilled soups. They aren't cooked, which means that the seasonings are not absorbed into the liquid. The amount of spices in this recipe provides some warmth as a counterpoint to the cool soup.
But if you have leftovers and put them in the refrigerator for the next day, as we did the first time we made it, the spices are absorbed by the liquid overnight, and their flavor is intensified. That nice warmth becomes heat! It was quite a surprise when we tried it the next day. Now, we like a lot of heat, that's not true for everyone.
If you're making this soup to serve to guests the next day, you might want to cut the spices in half. Unless you and your guests enjoy intense flavors.
If you do have some leftover soup and it's too spicy for you, try adding some lemon or lime juice or some sour cream to reduce the heat level.
Eat, Comment, Like, and Follow!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment. We would also appreciate it if you would like and follow us on social media. And sign up for our newsletter to get news, new recipes, and fun food facts!
📖 Recipe Card
Spanish-Style Chilled Avocado Soup
Special Equipment Needed
- Blender or food processor
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 bunch green onions white parts only, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon hot paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup ice-cold water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, scoop the flesh into a food processor or blender, and purée until smooth.3 ripe avocados
- Add the onion, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and sour cream and purée until smooth.1 bunch green onions, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon hot paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ cup sour cream
- Pour the soup into a metal bowl. Add the chicken stock and cold water and stir to mix well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.2 cups chicken stock, 1 cup ice-cold water, Salt and black pepper
- Put the bowl in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- Chopped cilantro, chopped cooked shrimp, and salsa are all great garnishes for this soup!
THIS RECIPE IS FROM
The Spice of Your Life - https://thespiceofyourlife.com
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know what you think!